- What to Consider When Choosing a Domain Name? (Practical Guide) - July 31, 2022
- Advance Strategy to Help You Grow Your Blog Audience (Practical Guide) - June 30, 2022
- Ask A Freelance Blogger: How to Increase Blog Traffic for Free? - June 19, 2022
Last Updated on February 6, 2021 by Arif Chowdhury
When it comes to online marketing, social media platforms are a rising star. Forget about the old style of advertising i.e. banner, display ad, PPC ad, etc. Though I am not saying that these advertising platforms are not effective anymore, rather what I am trying to say is this – if you use social media platforms, you can easily blend with your audiences.
What is the meaning of blending with your audience? It means you will become part of them. Let me give you an example when you visit a website & see lots of banner ads or display ads, do you particularly like them, or being annoyed by them? Now imagine, when you visit a social media platform like Facebook, and follow one of your favorite brand official pages, if they publish a new offer post you happily like it, comment on it & share it with your friends.
No boring or annoying things in here. Instead, you help them to spread their advertisement by sharing it with your friends. As you can see, this is called blending with your audience. And by doing so, you can launch a powerful advertising campaign that can easily increase your ROI more than ever. There are many social media platforms out there, in this article, I will show you 6 types of social media platforms that are best for online marketing.
We all know Facebook very well, almost all of us have a Facebook account & some of us have multiple accounts as well. To meet, greet & chat with friends we always use Facebook’s social media platform. You may not know yet, but Facebook has more than 2.7 billion users worldwide, which makes it one-third of the world population. Yes, one of the largest world communities anyone has ever seen.
And probably this is why all businesses around the world from smallest to largest are racing to promote their brands on this social media. Now the question is, why Facebook advertising is one of the best platforms for online marketing.
First, let me give you an example with Amazon’s official Facebook page. We all know about Amazon. It is one of the world’s largest eCommerce platforms, but still, they have opened a Facebook page. Why? To target this huge 2.7 billion potential customers.
Now the question is, why is the general audience supposed to like/follow their page? Simple, it will be easy for them to learn about new products, promotions, offers, discounts, etc. They won’t have to visit the Amazon.com website, instead while browsing Facebook they will receive notification from Amazon’s official page.
As you can see, it is rather easy to get useful information from your favorite brand. You can easily talk with them, chat with them, ask to solve any issue you have, you can directly purchase from Amazon Facebook page, you can share promotion offers to your friends & family members. All of these can be done from a social media platform, you do not need to go elsewhere.
So, both business & customers can benefit from this, and that’s why Facebook social media is one of the best platforms for online marketing.
Facebook Advertising Facts:
- CPM (Cost per 1,000 Impression), which means you will be charged for how many times an ad is displayed before your targeted customer, not how many times they have clicked.
- The average CPM cost is $7.19 based on WebFX’s recent research & $1.07 per like.
- Facebook has almost 98.3% of mobile users, while only 1.7% are laptop & desktop users.
- Sometimes even after having millions of followers, you may have to launch an ad campaign to reach them.
Exclusive Tips for Facebook Ads:
- Try to build as many targeted followers as possible, you will be able to mitigate this advertising cost to $0 by getting organic reach for your post.
- Try to use emoji in your ad & make it informal, remember this is social media, not a business forum.
- Don’t overwhelm your followers with lots of promotional offers, instead try to help them out by publishing engaging content, this way you will gain a massive amount of active followers & your profit will also increase along the way.
Recommended Reading: How to Build a Perfect Social Media Marketing Plan (Complete Guide)
Instagram is also another massively popular social media platform, though it is mainly used for image & video sharing. They have more than 112 million monthly users worldwide, a small audience base compared to Facebook.
Yet, it has more audience engagement than all other platforms. Based on research Instagram has a 58% more engagement rate than Facebook & 2,000% more than Twitter. This is a massive difference in advertising performance. Especially, if you can advertise your product using image & video then Instagram will be very effective for you.
Though on Facebook you can promote almost anything you like, however in Instagram you should focus on image & video, as this platform is mainly focused on images & videos, thus if you do not use these materials then your advertising performance will reduce drastically.
A perfect example can be Domino’s Pizza. Take a close look at their post. Simple pizza image with a promotional offer in the comment box. This is the way how it works on Instagram. However, there is a catch, if your products are not good enough then you may receive an instant bad review from your clients. And as the comment is wide open thus everyone else can see it easily. So, be careful when promoting your products on social media.
Instagram Advertising Facts:
- Both CPM & CPC work well on Instagram. Average CPM cost is $6.7 & CPC cost is around $0.2 to $2.
- Best for image-oriented products i.e. food, movies, furniture, clothes, etc. If you have a business consultancy service, then promoting this service to Instagram can be difficult.
- Instagram is based on mobile phones. Thus your target should be 100%, mobile users.
- The majority of Instagram users are between 18-29 age.
Exclusive Tips for Instagram Ads:
- Just like a Facebook page, try to build targeted followers & only then you can reduce advertising costs by getting organic reach.
- As most of the users are young, thus try to create an ad based on their interest.
Twitter is more of a news portal while Facebook is an online social gathering. You may have seen many political leaders & Hollywood movie stars have a Twitter account & actively posting their recent status. However, you may not see the same thing on Facebook. So, in my opinion, Facebook is like a public place where people from all counties & all classes gather. While Twitter is a place for formal, elite people & brands. Thus, you are supposed to get a more accurate result here on Twitter.
Twitter has more than 330 million monthly users worldwide, which is 8 times smaller than Facebook’s user base. But, as I already said before, here on Twitter you will find a more authentic & formal audience than Facebook. Therefore, consider your advertising campaign will also be more effective than Facebook.
Unlike Facebook, on Twitter, you have a wide range of advertising options. For example, you can use CPM or CPC based on your needs. Not only that, you can target the below actions.
- Engagement from audience (like, comments)
- Sharing a post
- Clicking on website link (promotional link)
- Views (mass awareness)
When you target a specific action they will charge you only for that, even if you get other actions, that will be counted as a bonus & free of charge. For example, let’s say you target audience engagement, and when you receive 1,000 likes from different audiences your ad receives 150 clicks as well. However, you will only pay for 1,000 likes & 150 clicks will be free of cost.
Twitter Advertising Facts:
- On average you will pay $0.5 to $2 for each engagement, clicking & sharing. And $2 to $4 per follower.
- Twitter has a unique advertising feature that is – you can promote a new trend. However, the cost is significantly high at $200,000 per day. Though if you can establish your brand, you are about to get a massive amount of targeted traffic.
- Twitter has more than 80% mobile users while 20% are laptop & desktop users.
Exclusive Tips for Twitter Ads:
- Twitter is best for formal advertisement. Thus your corporate ads can shine here.
- The hashtag is a powerful & smart way to get organic traffic to your ad, so try to utilize it.
- Build a large follower base for your Twitter page, unlike Facebook, you won’t have to pay to reach them.
Pinterest is almost the same as Instagram, however, there is some slight difference between them. It has a 442 million user base worldwide which is almost 4 times larger than Instagram. Also just like Twitter you will find an authentic & formal user base on Pinterest, while Instagram is more like Facebook, a bit informal. Thus, if you need to promote serious business then Pinterest is far better than Instagram.
The Pinterest social media platform is considered highly engaging. And also its advertising cost is slightly cheaper than other social media platforms. However, if you can build a large targeted follower base then surely you can easily mitigate those advertising costs. Just like Twitter, you won’t have to pay for organic reach.
Pinterest Advertising Facts:
- On average CPM cost is $5.3 & CPC is $1.52, it is much cheaper than Facebook, however, Twitter is still cheaper than all platforms.
- 71% of the total user base are female, aged between 18-29.
- 85% of Pinterest’s audience use this platform to plan their life moment, while Instagram has only 44% & Facebook has 53%.
Exclusive Tips for Pinterest:
- Pinterest is much more effective than Instagram & Facebook for corporate business. Thus, showcase your products using custom images.
- Watches, jewelry, furniture, clothing, etc. are perfect for the Pinterest advertising campaign.
- Building a powerful follower base should be enough to mitigate your advertising cost to almost $0.
Consider LinkedIn is a full corporate social media platform. Unlike Facebook, Instagram where people are used to playing, fun, chat, hang out with friends, etc. LinkedIn is the complete opposite of it. Here, companies are looking for high-caliber individuals, employees are seeking jobs, people are trying to build a strong corporate network worldwide.
As you can see, LinkedIn is a corporate formal social media, and Facebook is for informal fun-loving folks gathering. Therefore, the marketing strategy is completely different for each of these platforms. One strategy may be perfect for Facebook, but the same strategy will be devastated on LinkedIn.
For example, let’s say, you are the owner of Domino’s Pizza & you want to sell your Pizza on a social media platform. However, you are not supposed to sell your Pizza on LinkedIn instead your task is to find employees for your company i.e. search for a chef who can make Pizza or a general manager for your Pizza factory. You may also look for Pizza ingredients suppliers on LinkedIn. Therefore, it is a place for B2B marketing, not B2C.
LinkedIn Advertising Facts:
- There are more than 675 million users worldwide on LinkedIn. Which is massive when we compare it with other social media platforms, because, majority of users here are for serious business while on Facebook you may find almost half of them are just passing their leisure time.
- Almost 61% of all users range between 30-64, which means no candy selling here.
- There are more than 30 million companies worldwide that have a LinkedIn profile.
- LinkedIn advertising costs are almost the same as Facebook, around $6.59 per CPM, $5.26 per CPC & $0.8 per premium email.
Exclusive Tips for LinkedIn Ads:
- Try to be formal, forget about the typical advertising strategy you did on other social media platforms.
- Building a strong network is a perfect way to get noticed for both company & the individual.
- Focus on B2B strategy rather than B2C. As LinkedIn is a perfect place for B2B online marketing.
- If you are a business, then you should leverage the LinkedIn networking power to source potential leads, employees & business partners for your business.
Snapchat is almost like the Instagram platform. Though it has more than 3 times the audience compared to Instagram, 314 million users worldwide. It’s mainly for image & video sharing. When it comes to advertising, Snapchat is a bit tricky. You have to be careful otherwise it will be a negative ROI.
The first one is the Snapchat discover ad, which started a minimum of $50,000 per day. Your ad will be displayed at the top of the newsfeed. Snapchat claims that you are supposed to receive millions of views per day with this feature.
The second one is Snap Ads, it costs around $1,000 to $3,000 per month, though it is a bit expensive, still the swipe rate is 500% more than other social platforms.
The third one is Sponsored Lenses. It is one of the most expensive advertising options in Snapchat. You can create custom lenses for users & it will be available worldwide. Your brand name, the logo will be displayed within it. The cost is varying, $450,000 to $700,000 per day. Sunday to Thursday $450,000 & holiday is $700,000. According to Snapchat, you are supposed to receive millions of views per day from this feature.
The cheapest advert option is Sponsored Local Geofilters. It started as little as $5, though some companies reported spending over $20,000. According to Wallaroo Media, they have received more than 23,000 views with only $7 cost.
Snapchat Advertising Facts:
- According to a recent (June 2020) survey Snapchat has around 238 million daily users & it’s growing with roughly 35 million new users every year.
- On average, the Snapchat app is opened by a user minimum of 30 times a day.
- The United States has the largest user base for Snapchat around 101 million. The second-largest user base in India is 33 million.
- Roughly 61% are female users according to Statista.
Exclusive Tips for Snapchat Ads:
It is best to use the cheapest advertising option, so first, test out how it goes. Unlike Facebook & Twitter, Snapchat is a bit overwhelming for an individual. If you are a company & do not have any issue expending thousands of dollars every month, then go ahead & start with Snap Ads first then try their most expensive Sponsored Lenses to build your brand around the globe.
Social media marketing is one of the best ways to build your brand. You have both the cheapest option as well as a very expensive option. The choice is yours. Sometimes even the cheapest option can bring you a fortune while the most expensive one cannot even meet the breakeven line.
For individual or small businesses, my advice is – do not go for the expensive social platform right away, if you have a budget issue then focus on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest platforms. Both have a reasonable amount of advertising cost & have proven results in the long run.
And for a large brand, Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest should be enough to bring you a considerable amount of profit, and if it still not enough for your needs then you should test out Instagram & Snapchat social media platforms.
In any case, good luck. And if you have any related questions do not hesitate to contact me or leave a comment below.